Monday, May 07, 2007

Coachella 2007 - The GOOD

Coachella. What an amazing experience and let me tell you, 2007 did not disappoint (Unless of course you traveled 3,000 miles and left your ticket at home). That's tough considering the hard act that it had to follow thanks to its 2006 incarnation, but each year is like a chrysalis; you never know what is going to emerge until you peep inside and see the beautiful freaky butterfly with spandex wings and laser antennae that shimmys up to the heavens...usually bigger, savvier and more adapted to its environment. That being said, this year's Coachella socked me in my art hole by unleashing one of the most well put together visual displays both eye-popping and socially conscious and gave us some of the hottest sounds to listen to as we poured melting sno cones over our tired, burnt and totally danced-out feet. But they ain't gonna go to rehab, I said "no, no, no!"
!
It would be difficult to give you a play by play of what all happened this year since the half-naked Gods of Coachella, in their wizened ways, decided to make this a three day festival as apposed to the normal customary two and I'm sure that not even Jane Austen could write a tome that could capture the Dickensian spirit of the Hell Train coupled with booty shaking exposed thongs of Spank Rock. So, in true slacker form, I give you a recap in the guise of three simple sections that I feel give the best encapsulation of how I feel about this year's Coachella.
!
The GOOD, The BAnD, and The WTF?
!
!
First up, THE GOOD. All the things that I cannot describe in words but felt strongly enough at the moment to capture in photo. The people...whether it be catching some rays (you could do this in the darkest corners of your room at midnight, it was hot this year!) and stealing a smooch from your best friend as you listened to The Decemberists, or wondering through the ever-diminishing concentric circles of the [KA Labyrinth] only to find yourself in a commune of J.R.R. Tolkien enthusiasts at the center, this year's Coachella had every color of the rainbow and every flavor of the sno cone. The first day out was my "relax" day where I only had conflicts band-wise toward the evening so I was able to capture some of the inhabitants and monuments that made this year so great.
!

Amid the bare midriffs and fire-breathing sculptures was the addition of a little bit of eco-awareness in the form of The Energy Factory where you could pop a bag of Ethanol powered popcorn for $1 (best meal deal hands down) or charge your cell phone via stationary bikes (in the 106 degree heat!) and since water comes at a premium in a place like the mojave, the Coachella people tested this sea of Gen Y'ers at a real live game of Legends of the Hidden Temple in an effort to stay hydrated and keep the grounds looking beautiful. For every ten empty bottles of water you brought in, you got one free! Genius! Although I am not sure how many other kids found themselves dumpster diving, I was hard up enough to stalk the Sahara Dance tent after a particularly thirsty rave flavored MSTRKRFT set to gather up as many bottles as my little stick arms could carry. I was so happy that I even had some random gypsy capture my face on my first haul.
!


Victory!!! I've got 3 bars!!!
!
The Coachella Music and Arts festival is both one sweaty body moving en mass, sort of like red blood cells through tiny grassy corridors. If you are lucky, you know where you are going and flow right into the crowd and land in your next artery of good music. On the other hand, there are these wonderful little pockets of beauty that you can discover when you least expect it. Vast play areas for the mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have went, but alas I don't know those people!

Anonymous said...

Betamike...you need to bottle this stuff up & sell it! Great job on the amazing recap.