Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fond Memories of The Past

I got to thinking of the past this week. And in thinking of the past, I am actually thinking of the future, or the current day, or the...ummmmmm, actual past.
!

Each time I begin thinking on this topic, it usually centers around one central theme: Silver Dollar City. For those in the know, I have spent a formidable amount of my life visiting the Ozark hills, even working there for a time. That place is probably what most would call a "guilty pleasure" and if you know me, you probably would think it would be the farthest thing that I would identify with. I wouldn't even go as far as calling it a guilty pleasure because I talk about it all the time. A guilty pleasure is something that you are supposed to keep hidden deep down from everyone, right? Like the fact that I think the T.V. show "Reba" is one of the best shows ever written and I can't get enough of it.
!
Well, Silver Dollar City and the Ozark Mountains that are nestled around it, have been calling me
lately. For some strange reason I got an email over at my Flickr page from someone who had seen some of my SDC photos on a chat forum. Wha-whaaaaa?!
!

Turns out that many of my photos had been featured
there (to which I was pretty flattered) and a lot of great discussion was going on about old attractions, shows and a general meeting of minds that shared the same country bumpkin kitsch addiction that I "secretly" harbor. I got to thinking more and more about the days when I worked in the City and realized what a great honor that was. If nothing more to be one of the few that these fans considered "lucky" to have fulfilled part of their lifelong dream of being a citizen of Silver Dollar City.
!
As I look to the future, I keep seeing that the path that led me here to my current job and location,
could be the very same path that leads me back to a new, greater calling. In efforts to re-connect with my roots, I have started a photo sharing and discussion group over at Flickr that will hopefully allow me to connect with those who also are ready to come out of the country closet. I hope you come and check it out and even join up. If you don't, no worries....no biggie. That's the way we look at things back up in the hills. I just hope I left bread crumbs so that I can follow them back to Missouri.
!
!
The Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
!

No comments: