Monday, April 07, 2008

Objectify My Love

I own a lot of t-shirts. Some are ironic and some just graphically pleasing (to me anyway), then there are the ones I wear to advertise my undying allegiance to my favorite bands. I love the idea of being able to show off your cool with that very rare Lollapalooza '92 shirt or keeping Fresh Young Minds alive way past their prime.
!
Imagine my surprise when I ran across a series of shirts from bands I would proudly support, celebrating one of the things I find completely commercial...if not slightly distasteful. Hot Chip, Daft Punk, Iggy Pop and others are celebrating the Hef by designing shirts to be sold through the Playboy website. Don't get me wrong, I find Playboy to be as American as apple pie and their bunny logo to be as graphically iconic as the golden arches, but I'm used to seeing it mostly tattooed on the thighs of bottle blondes at the county fair.
!
I would feel a little strange wearing a symbol of exploitation such as this, but then again...I'd be hard pressed to pass up a gold foil robot Guy Manuel/Thomas Bangalter bunny shirt.
!
Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll!

No comments: